Friday, January 7, 2011

Sunset Approaches

I was going to write about Shabbat, but now Shabbat is almost upon me and there's no time to write a lengthy thoughtful post. So I just thought I'd share some quotes I collected today. I love quotes and have been amassing them for 10 years (wow, I can't believe it's been that long). I must have 4 or 5 hundred by now.

This first one reminds me of a conversation I had with a French friend of mine some time ago, about how traveling can change one's perspective and how essential yet difficult it is to apply that wonder to the every day world around us.

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land." -Gilbert K. Chesterton


This one reminds me of what I'm constantly struggling for in my life. Finding motivation is such a struggle, but it's a reminder that not acting has its consequences.

"We must all suffer from one of two pains:
the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.
The difference is discipline weighs ounces and regret weighs tons."
-Jim Rohn



And this is my favorite of today. It makes me smile, reflecting on the philosophizing I do so often.

"We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason they write so very little."
Anne Lamott in "bird by bird"


Shabbat Shalom!

No comments: