Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ethical Eating

I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. I know, it's about time, huh? I started it this fall, but finally got my own copy last week after a little shopping spree at Half Price Books. I was especially inspired to pick it up again after watching Food, Inc., where the author, Michael Pollen, is interviewed.

I'm still only on Chapter 4 in the first section on corn, but this book already makes me want to shout out loud! Unfortunately right now my audience just consists of my family and anyone who happens to stumble upon this blog (like you!). I certainly gave my mom and brother an earful yesterday, and so, well, prepare yourself, because I gotta get this off my chest.

In The Omnivore's Dilemma, Pollen describes how messed up our food system has become and it infuriates me to read about just how backwards things are. Farming in the form it was originally intended makes sense- you grow crops, then have animals to eat the surplus, these same animals then provide manure which is a natural fertilizer for your crops. What a simple cycle, right? But the American government just can't have it that way. We had leftover dangerous chemicals from warfare in WWII, so what do we decide to use them for? Fertilizers to grow the food we ingest into our bodies. Then there's this huge surplus of food, so the farmers soon have to be subsidized to be able to stay in business. Crops (now mostly corn) become not really food anymore, but just a commodity. And the manure from the animals? Well, nothing's really done with it- it just pollutes land and water. This whole f-ed up process just doesn't make any sense to me! When nature and evolution gives us something that works just fine, we decide to completely go against it. And look at the consequences.

Alright, I'll step down from my rant just a little bit. You can go read the book yourself, if you haven't already. I think what gets me so worked up about this issue is that it's so easy to take action. With problems like, oh, I don't know, World Hunger, or AIDS in Africa, or the Palestinian/Israeli Conflict, making a positive impact just seems so... *daunting*. But with the food system in America, if you are somewhat secure financially (given- I know that's not everyone), you can totally make an impact. Everybody eats and we all have the power to choose what we eat and where we buy our food. We can read labels, shop at Farmer's Markets, join CSAs, frequent particular restaurants. And we are lucky to live in an age with so many choices! Now I recognize that there are people who do not have the financial means to make these choices- food justice is a problem and we need to work to change that too. However, most of us can make a difference with what we eat and buy, and I just don't understand how you can't act!

Thanks for reading. Here's to making healthy ethical choices... :)

No comments: