Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New Food

I ate a delicious felafel yesterday. I'm trying to enjoy all the awesome fruits and vegetables here (they really are especially delicious and very cheap). Unfortunately I have yet to get to the shouk (the large outdoor market), where there are so many foods to buy and things to see. I know, it's crazy that I haven't been there since I arrived. But it's far! And I'm in class all day nearly every day. I'll get there soon. Some things I've been enjoying: persimmons, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and dates. The only problem with dates is that for some reason I think they look like cockroaches. What a horrible association! I still eat them anyway.

I also have to yet to go into the old city... for many reasons.

However, I did go to east Jerusalem last night to a fun restaurant with Seeds of Peace friends. It's crazy how you can be in a neighborhood where everything's in Hebrew, then turn the corner and suddenly you're in a whole incredible new place. Different people, different atmosphere, Arabic everywhere in place of Hebrew. I love experiencing the different cultures, but it's amazing how segregated it feels.

No comments: