Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Musings of the week

Hey! So last week was amazing. Full of so many awesome experiences, and here's some info about a few of them.

Sunday- the Hebrew month of Adar began and we had a festive service at Pardes (Pardes is the school where I'm studying). Adar is when everything gets turned upside down and nothing is as it seems. People wore funny costumes and we sang loudly...

Monday last week was Yom Iyyun Shel Hesed (day of loving kindness) for the Pardes community. Here's a great description of that day by another Pardes student, plus a picture of me!
http://theseandthose.pardes.org/?p=234

Tuesday I went to Ramallah with a friend. I got to see some Seeds of Peace people and just experience the city. It's very commercial, very busy, lots of people, and has a very different feel than Jerusalem. It feels like a completely different country. I got to meet some activists working for ISM and hear about the demonstrations they attend and how they document what's happening for the Palestinians. I admire what they're doing, even if it's not the kind of work I feel drawn to. I'm looking forward to revisiting Palestine soon.

Thursday night I went to Tel Aviv. It was fun to be in a light, easy-going city. To visit an art gallery, see the sea, palm-trees, eat chinese food. Jerusalem is very heavy, and I certainly became aware of that when I was gone from here.

Friday I went up to Tzfat for Shabbat to the Livnot campus. Livnot was the beginning of my return to Judiasm and my spiritual journey in a lot of ways. Being there is so rejuvenating for my soul. It also makes me realize how far I have come.

And now it's tuesday again. Purim is upon us! The crazy holiday where everyone disguises him/herself and gets drunk and we listen to the story of Esther. It's also about giving to the poor, giving food to friends, and eating a bit meal. Plus I have 2 days off of class! Should be fun...

No comments: